Monday, April 22, 2013

Rough Theatre

 I have several rough theatre venues....Well, I believe they're rough theatres....they're definitely not refined theatres. Personally, the rough theatre that I participate in on a daily, if not every second, is humor. In many situations of day to day interaction I try to input a little humor in every situation, and many times it relies on the participation of "audience members", in this case the friends, strangers, and hungry, hungry, hobos I meet everyday. The rough humor relies on the ability to take mundane conversation and transform it into something resembling a joke.

Also, musically I have a rough theatre. Sometimes I take part in ragtag guitar jam sessions. It's a spur of the moment musical improvisation, and it thrives on not only my own playing abilities, but also on the idiosyncrasies and abilities of the other musicians playing as well. In these scenarios, being able to take what someone else is playing, whether it be perfect or laden with mistakes, and contort it into something else is essential. It's building on other people, and at the same time, you become a foundation for someone else's creation.

And of course there is film. Film thrives (I believe more than any art form, except for theatre itself) on rough theatre tactics. Film is essentially an art created by a community of artists (cast and crew). Everyone in the making of any film is responsible for inputting their souls into the project, and also utilizing, or cleverly fixing any problem that occurs on the set,in order to create a work of art.

I don't believe that everything is art, but I believe that there is an art to everything. And I believe that the art of (insert your choice here) is a rough theatre. Any artistic ideal or expression is a rough theatre in the end, no matter how high class or low class it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment